I’ve been doing more continuous integration lately, both remotely using Jenkins to manage jobs and locally with tools like autotest and Guard.
Sometimes these tools take a bit of configuring to get where one needs to be…
I liked autotest but for new projects I couldn’t get it to run correctly.
I switched to Guard and that worked.
However I was getting an annoying tmux error for each run (“option — q not recognized”)
So I needed to update my tmux installation.
But first I needed to update my Ubuntu version from 12.04 -> 12.10 -> 13.04. Done.
Then I tried multiple versions of tmux – 1.7, 1.8.4 and 1.9a, compiling locally but couldn’t get any to run correctly.
Finally I found that with tmux I really needed to restart / logout as just closing all terminals apps wasn’t enough.
Entire trip took a day but I had the time available and the upgrades were all tasks on my to-do list for long-term maintenance. It was also complicated by the fact that frequently when I changed my tmux or .bashrc setup, new terminal windows wouldn’t start. Sometimes I had to edit my .bashrc file in gedit (basic text editor) to comment out the exec tmux line, just to get terminal access back!
These upgrades are also giving me growl-style notifications which is helpful:
Once I got 1.7 working I went back to trying 1.9a and this install was then easy, no restart needed, just exit all terminal windows in between:
$ tmux -V